Friday, January 20, 2012

Doctor + MBA = Business man


This is a story about my visit to a one of the chain of dental clinics under a single brand. Service with a smile is their way to serve. As soon as I entered all I felt was the feeling of goodness and safety. Beautiful men and women handling patients with a smile and care of a friend, I was starting to believe it was real. After minutes of getting used to that good feeling they called me into the dental room, from where i saw small group of young dentist running around to attend patience and collecting reports. From the group one fine gentle man came in to attend to me. he just looked around and started to examine me and after a few seconds ordered an X-ray. Well, he gave a good enough reason that he needed to be sure; I thought he is looking after me cool. Next showed the portrait of my imperfect teeth in his new flashy comp and asked me with a smile to take a seat near him. Wow, that was my longest 5 mins for me on that day. He made me convinced that my mouth had to be taken apart and fixed all over again, well if it was over with that I would have been happy, I could simply say yes or no and go back to the table. But, he used all possible medical knowledge that which he had learnt to scare me to the core. All the feeling of goodness disappeared I almost felt I was about to lose all my teeth and be done. Finally, after doing all the talking about everything else, other than the problem for I have come, The one that was really bothering me after that time was how to get out without undergoing all the costly treatments he said he wants to do. When he finally started the drilling process to fill the gap, the sense of security was no longer there. I saw a business man trying to drill my teeth to find some money.
Courtesy:  http://www.dentalblogs.com/

After the filling was done and after making me to bite on cotton, He simply went to his comp and told me to get up as it is over and go home (only after going home i found the filling is not done properly and was coming out). The huge bill on the way out was not very comforting and all the happy feeling i thought i had was no more with me. After reaching home the first thing I told was “wow, I made it”. Then I was left wondering why I was so scared and left me thinking back.  It only reminded me of the old days when doctors used to ask about you to gain trust and make you feel comfortable and when they came close to us it made us feel better. They never showed the worst side of us to the core, as we are all imperfect and when told of all our imperfection on a single visit which was uncalled for even though I was going to visit him again as my treatment required. I realized that a doctor who is propelled by a business behind him is a business man more than a doctor, I saw a sales man rather than a doctor and the only thing my heart was telling me is to run from there alive.  On the mad rush to be a doctor I just pray that they think for a second about the things that they are handling is alive and even if they want to make money at least with little sensitivity.

No comments: